Volunteer with Children Kwa Zulu Natal
About Volunteer with Children Kwa Zulu Natal Project
WTSA's social care and community programmes offer diverse and rewarding experiences for those looking to provide much needed help to less advantaged communities around South Africa.
WTSA runs several community-based projects in Sodwana Bay and the surrounding rural areas in northern KwaZulu-Natal, near to the Mozambican border. The area suffers from a lack of jobs, as well as limited funds for institutions like schools, clinics, community centres and so on. For this reason WTSA has selected Sodwana Bay as an area for social care projects that will be beneficial to local communities.
All of the projects aim at the development of some, if not all of the following:
1) Crèche support: Staff shortages, unhygienic facilities, a lack of play areas and the mixture of toddlers and babies can make it hard to follow a specific programme and find stimulating activities. WTSA provides support, guidance, training and volunteers to the crèches, with volunteers providing crèche support for activities such as playtime, music, art, stories and games.
2) Primary School Support: Volunteers will have the opportunity to assist in primary schools, helping the teachers where need be.
3) Computer Literacy: Educating children about IT and teaching them basic computer skills.
4) Feeding Schemes: Relieving hunger, malnutrition and chronic diseases by providing low cost nutritious food to disadvantaged communities. This is done through a network of community kitchens and healthcare workshops.
5) Empowerment of Women: Empowering women to fight against rural issues affecting them every day, including poverty, low literacy rates, dependency, unequal rights and limited access to education.
Volunteers are accommodated in the WTSA Camp, in shared rooms. The main house is fully furnished with all modern conveniences, including large outside gardens with ample shade trees and a swimming pool. The accommodation is located in Sodwana Bay town, a safe area and within walking distance to restaurants etc. The beach is about 10 minutes' drive from the accommodation in the iSimangaliso Wetlands Park.
What will you do?
Volunteers may be required to help where needed or where they have clear skills they can share with local communities. Activities may include:
1) Crèche Support: Volunteers assist crèche teachers with a prescribed routine consisting of playtime, music, art, stories and games. They might also have the opportunity to look after the babies at specific crèches when needed. From time to time volunteers will have the opportunity to assist in setting up a new crèche. This could include activities such as helping to train teachers, as well as preparing classrooms by cleaning the facilities, creating learning material and so on.
2) Primary School Support: Volunteers will undertake a variety of tasks at the school – helping teachers with managing children during class, overseeing extra-curricular activities and bathroom breaks, and undertaking day-to-day upkeep and maintenance of school facilities.
3) Computer Literacy and Teaching: Volunteers teach computer literacy and various computer programme skills to children during the afternoons. The help of volunteers is also regularly needed to meet the physical and human resource needs of various schools in the township. Volunteers are involved in teaching English, various life skills and different sporting activities to the children.
4) Office Administration: Some assistance with administrative tasks might be required to aid the smooth running of the organisation.
Country:South Africa, Kwa Zulu Natal, Sodwana
Minimum Duration:4 Weeks
Maximum Duration:12 Weeks